February 7, 2017
Hi there! 👋
If you’re trying to get into tech and you belong to an under-represented group1, if you want help, I want to help. You can reach out to me via email at email@example.com, or DM me on Twitter @cassie_moy.
You can ask me to:
- Proofread or give feedback on your resume/portfolio/LinkedIn profile
- Introduce you to someone I know, if we know each other
- Help practice behavioral interviews, especially if you’re telling the story of why you’re trying to get into tech if you’re coming from a non-traditional background
- Talk through bootcamps critically, or talk through what might happen next after graduating from one
- Be a Meetup buddy so that you’re not going to tech events alone, if you’re in NYC
… If you are part of any marginalized group I am not part of, and you want my advice or support, paying it forward is the least I can do. Structuring this work as ally work helps marginalized people set boundaries around emotional labor, and makes this problem scalable. Allies can, and should, be picking up the slack here.